Sunday, March 1, 2009

GOTCHA DAY!


I don't know where to begin! This day has been SO LONG and SO EMOTIONAL! We are exhausted...but very happy! We woke up at 4:30 am and left our hotel in Beijing at 7:30 to board a plane to Nanchung. We arrived in Nanchung around 1:30pm...at 4:00 pm we get a call from our Chinese Guide Susan...asking us to come to her room to get our baby! What...wow...it takes 4 years to get here and less than 2 hours to be her forever family! I panicked because it happened so quickly without any warning as to when the babies would arrive! After that it was all so chaotic! We get to her room with the other two couples and I don't remember much from there. Except for crying and laughing! It was overwhelming watching all of the families getting their babies! We were last, because we chose to be. The other families have no children and I wanted to see them get their babies. So Taryn came last bundled in 3 outfits and sweating (that is how it is done here in China!). She was laughing and babbling...when she saw me -she stopped and stared. It was obvious she had not seen a blond haired person before! It was rather cute. She would look around and smile at everyone in the room and then she would look at me and stop smiling and just stare! And...I kid you not...she starts saying "Dada"! Bizarre! I know she is babbling...and she doesn't yet know who her Dada is...but it was fun hearing it after waiting 4 years for her. "Dada"! Steve said "of course she knows I am her Daddy..." As soon as the orphanage Nannies and Director left...the crying started. She wouldn't take a bottle from either one of us and she was frantic. They hadn't fed her on purpose because it was an hour from the orphanage to our hotel and they said they didn't want her to throw up. She was crying like she was scared and it was heartbreaking. She kept looking in the direction of where her Nanny's had been...and then she would cry some more. Finally, she cried herself to sleep in my arms...and, of course, that was the time we had to go sign paperwork for the orphanage! During the entire paperwork signing she was awake and screaming. I remained calm...just praying that she would somehow feel better. We got her to eat (finally!) after returning to our room...and, thank God, has been a totally different baby since! She laughs, coos, dances (very cute!) and of course says "dada" constantly. We were even able to take her to dinner with the other families...which I didn't think would happen when she was having her "episode". She is now sleeping quietly in her crib...looking like the Angel that she is. I am totally in love with her! I kind of knew I would be...but didn't want to get my hopes up that it would be so "easy". Steve seems "shy" about her. He holds her and talks with her...but is cautious. That is EXACTLY how he was with both boys in the hospital when they were born. It didn't take long for him to be in love with them...and I know he will be "all up in it" very soon! She is the smallest baby of the bunch. She only weighs 16 lbs! Very petite! She is wearing 9 month old clothes right now...probably 12 month clothes in the summer. She is perfect! Besides her teething...she seems very content. We can't wait to bring her home to her brothers (BTW boys...we do not have a calling card until tomorrow, so we won't be able to call you today...but we LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU VERY MUCH!). I know it will be mutual love. Enjoy the pictures and video (especially Jonna who requested the video when I hadn't planned on posting one! You get to watch me cry once again!)... we will be back tomorrow!!!!
P.S. A note to waiting parents...Please hang in there! Oh my gosh it is SO WORTH IT! And, it WILL HAPPEN...it will! There is a baby waiting for you, whether born or not, she has been chosen for you and your family. I know how hard it is...I have been there! I am still amazed that it is our time! I pray that all of you will not give up and wait, because there are literally millions of orphans here...they all need families...and YOUR FAMILY will be chosen just for one of them-the one intended for you from the beginning of your journey! Peace....


5 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!!! All that I can say right now as my tears are flowing with joy, is GOD IS GOOD!! She IS PRECIOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS!!!! We are thrilled for you guys. She is beautiful!!
    -Susie (and Andy)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God! I am so happy and Taryn is BEAUTIFUL! I had tears when I saw the video, it brings back so many great memories! Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca and Family,
    Congratulations!!! Taryn is adorable! What a special day! Your video is wonderful! Wishing you a wonderful first evening together! Can't wait to read more about Taryn tomorrow!

    Love,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!!!! Taryn is beautiful and you are so blessed!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete